INSURANCE AGENCY NETWORK Blog
Living all by yourself for the first time is exciting and overwhelming. You make your own house rules and decorate your place according to your personal taste. But, one major downside of living alone is the risk of your personal safety. The good news is, there are ways to address this particular problem so you can enjoy a peaceful and safe home life alone.
1. Find time to become familiar with the people in your neighborhood. In case you see anyone unfamiliar, you will be on your guard.
2. If your house has no deadbolt and peephole, better to install them immediately. Check if all your doors and windows look fully and securely.
3. Know that sliding glass doors tend to be weak. Make sure to install reinforcement for added security.
4. If your home has an upper floor, consider buying a portable ladder that can come handy in case of fire.
5. Install video surveillance camera outside. Make sure you have one pointing toward your garage or car.
6. Add smoke alarms. They are efficient and long lasting. They need to be replaced after every 10 years, at the least.
7. Get a dog. You may not have a human companion at home, having a dog gives a nice feeling that you still have someone with you that is breathing. Besides, dogs can sense trouble easily. Their barks are also good intruder-deterrent.
8. When you go out of town or visit your parents in their home, do not give clues that you are not home. Preferably, ask a neighbor or friend to look after your home.
9. Install curtains on your windows and close them. The perpetrators do not need to know that you are all by yourself.
10. Make use of a personal security app. They have loud alarms and GPS tracking features. In case of an emergency situation, your location will be notified to your emergency contacts.
As a homeowner, you are responsible for your own safety. You have no landlord to depend on. You both need to protect yourself and your home. The tips suggested above can significantly help your home living.
Another efficient way to protect your home is to buy homeowners insurance. Check what is included in your policy and what is not. At Insurance Services of the West, we do our best in making sure that our clients are well-protected with affordable and comprehensive policies. To learn more about how we can help you, please contact our agency at (425) 681-0996 or Click Here to request a free quote.